Borussia Dortmund, leading Group F, despite losing the first leg, could strengthen their position in the standings when Club Brugge move to Germany.
• The BVB has six points in three UEFA Champions League games this season: Erling Braut Haaland's double has been added to open Belgian player Thorgan Hazard and secured a 3-0 win in Brugge last time, with all goals scored in the first 32 games ... minutes.
• As a result, Dortmund were one point ahead of Lazio in the standings, and Club Brugge got another point back.
• Teams played in pairs in the 2018/19 UEFA Champions League group stage. The only goal in these two matches in the 85th minute of the 1st round in Belgium was scored by Christian Pulisic from Dortmund.
• Both teams have won two out of four games prior to this season, all at home, but Club Brugge have won both matches under dramatic circumstances.
• In the third qualifying round of the 2003/04 UEFA Champions League, each team won a 2-1 home match, resulting in a 4-2 penalty shootout in Dortmund.
• Dortmund appear to have seized control of the 1986/87 UEFA Cup third round against Club Brugge, playing 3-0 in the first leg in West Germany - only the Belgians have scored three goals in return for extra time. ... Goals from Frankie Van der Elst and Leo Van der Elst (no sibling) as the latter completed his hat-trick provided a spectacular comeback.
• The German club responded to their first 3-1 defeat at Lazio by beating Zenit 2-0 in Germany ahead of their victory at Club Brugge.
• Second in the Bundesliga after Bayern Munich for the second straight season in 2019/20, this is Dortmund's 15th UEFA Champions League campaign; they were winners in 1997 and runners-up in 2013. The BVB have reached the round of 16 in six of their last seven appearances.
• Lucien Favre's side finished second to Barcelona in their division last season with ten points - seven at home - ahead of Internazionale and Slavia Prague.
• Dortmund beat Paris Saint-Germain 2-1 at home in the first leg of the round of 16, but retired after losing 2-0 in the second leg in France.
• The BVB have won six of their last ten matches in Europe (L4), all four being lost away.
• Haaland, who has scored all three Group F matches to date, has scored 12 goals in eight of his nine group stage matches to date.
• Despite winning their last four home games, Dortmund have won only seven of their last 15 European games at their stadium (D3 L5).
• Dortmund have won three of six home games against guests from Belgium (D2 L1).
• The Belgian club started Group F with a 2-1 win over Zenit, but have only one point in their next two home matches against Lazio (1-1) and Dortmund.
• Club Brugge are participating in the group stage for the third consecutive year, having achieved such a result for the first time; this is their eighth UEFA Champions League group match. They never made it to the elimination rounds.
• In the 2019/20 season, the Belgians finished third behind Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid in Group A with three points (D3 L3). They finished third in their group for the second year in a row.
• In the round of 32 of the UEFA Europa League, they lost to Manchester United (1-1h, 0-5 in the match).
• The first round win against Zenit was only Club Brugge's second win in 21 UEFA Champions League games (D7 L12), both of which were won away.
• Club Brugge have lost only one of their last six UEFA Champions League group stage away matches (B2 D3).
• Club Brugge have won only one of their last 12 home and away matches against German clubs (D3 L8) - a 2003 defeat to Dortmund. The 0-0 draw in Dortmund in November 2018 ended a four-defeat streak in Germany, where Club Brugge have never won (D4 L9).
Links and trivia
• Thomas Meunier played for Club Brugge, which won the league title in 2015/16, winning the Belgian Cup the previous season. He was with the club from 2011 to 2016, scoring 19 goals in 198 appearances in all competitions.
• Meunier's partners at Club Brugge were Brandon Mechele, Ruud Former and Hans Vanaken; Wormer and Wanaken were part of the team that won the title in 2016.
• Meunier also represented Virtona (2006-11) at both youth and senior level in Belgium, and from 2004 to 2006 was a player on the youth team Standard Liege.
• Also played in Belgium:
Axel Witsel (Standard Liège 1999-2011)
Thorgan Hazard (Zulte Waregem Loan, 2012-14)
• Hazard scored against Zulte Waregem in the 2-1 playoffs against Club Brugge on 12 April 2014.
• Witsel scored a 3-1 home win against Club Brugge on 8 November 2009 and his only goal in Liege on 7 May 2011.
• Thomas Delaney scored the second goal for Copenhagen against Club Brugge in Denmark in the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League group stage.
• Mats Hummels (first leg, 1-1) and Marco Reus (return leg, 3-4) in the 2015/16 UEFA Europa League quarterfinals scored Simon Mignolet between Dortmund and Liverpool, even though it was an English side. who progressed.
• International teammates:
Thomas Meunier, Axel Witsel, Thorgan Azard and Simon Mignolet, Brandon Mechele, Hans Vanaken (Belgium)